May 1, 2017 - 10:57am
Cricket Australia is convinced with the type of security Bangladesh have offered to the visiting side. According to BCB CEO Nizamuddin Chowdhury, Australia will be provided the same level of security given to England last year in their tour of Bangladesh.
CA’s anti-corruption and security unit manager Sean Carroll visited Bangladesh last year in October during England’s tour and monitored the security arrangements.
It is learned from sources that the report was positive.
“Before the start of every series, the visiting board sends a security plan to the host board. Sean Carroll the security advisor of CA was here in Bangladesh and assessed the security arrangements during England’s tour last year. They are assured with the type of security we are capable of providing. And that’s the reason why the head of CA has confirmed the tour,” Nizamuddin told the media on Sunday.
Earlier on Friday, BCB president Nazmul Hasan informed that Australia will play two Test matches with the first game taking place before Eid-ul-Adha and the second and final match starting right after the Eid holidays.
According to sources, the two Tests will be played in Chittagong and Fatullah.
“As per the Future Tour Programme, Australia will tour Bangladesh in the middle of August this year to take part in two Tests; one before Eid and the second after Eid. Australia will also take part in practice match. However, the final schedule will be announced only after the agreement between the two boards. We have a tour schedule prepared but we don’t want to disclose it at the moment,” he said.
Earlier, Australia were scheduled to travel to Dhaka and Chittagong for two Tests in October 2015, but the tour was postponed after CA received security warnings from the Australian government’s department of foreign affairs and trade.
Australia also refused to send a team in last year’s U-19 World Cup in Dhaka because of security concerns.
England were provided with unprecedented level of security and the tour passed off without any incident, prompting Australia CEO James Sutherland to announce that he was confident the Aussies would return in 2017.
“What we saw at the end of last year was that England toured Bangladesh. And we saw very strong security around the team. We sent our head of security Sean Carroll over to observe for seven to 10 days, just to get a little bit of comfort on the systems and processes that are in place,” Sutherland told the local media.
“I suppose anything can happen between now and then and we continue to monitor what happens in Bangladesh, but we work on the assumption that we’re going to play and we start to plan accordingly.
“We certainly get a great deal of comfort from the way the security measures were put in place by the Bangladesh government in conjunction with the cricket board over there. At the moment, I would be assuming that we would be playing two Tests over there. They’re tentative dates around August or September, I would think,” he added.