Rights body for probe into Hanif’s death in Rab custody

Rights body Ain O Salish Kendra (ASK) today demanded a judicial enquiry over the death of Hanif Mridha in Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) custody on Friday.

Meanwhile, BNP today sought an explanation from the home ministry in this regards.

The demand came in the backdrop of an allegation made by Hanif’s family that he was actually picked up by a group of people claiming to be detectives in Siddhirganj area of Narayanganj last month.

Hanif, who died in Rab custody hours after being allegedly detained on Friday, March 17, 2017, was actually picked up by a group of people claiming to be detectives from Siddhirganj area of Narayanganj late last month, his family claimed yesterday.

Expressing grave concerns over the alleged custodial death, ASK said that the allegations of detaining Hanif, taking his signature on cheque and his death in custody raised by his family members were serious ones.

“We demand a judicial probe into this matter,” said ASK in a press statement signed by its acting executive director Nur Khan.

‘Hanif killed being branded as militant?’

Meanwhile, BNP Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir also demanded explanation from the home ministry on whether Hanif was killed being branded as a militant.

“What’s the truth -- Rab’s statement or family’s allegation? I demand an explanation from the home minister [Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal] regarding this,” the BNP leader said while addressing a discussion at Dhaka Reporters’ Unity (DRU) organised by its alliance National People’s Party (NPP).

He said that it will be a matter of grave concern if the family’s allegation is true.

“It’s an important question whether these youths are being picked up and killed being branding as militants to prove militancy prevails in the country,” Fakhrul added.

According to Rab statement, they detained Hanif on Friday afternoon near Rab's Ashkona barrack where a suicide bomber blew himself up earlier in the day. Few hours after his detention, he was taken to Kurmitola General Hospital following his chest pain and later pronounced dead.

Later yesterday, Hanif’s family alleged that he was actually picked up by people claiming to be detectives late last month.

His friend Sohel Hossain Montu, who was accompanying him at that time, was also picked up, and he still remains missing, Hanif's family and friends claimed yesterday.

Hanif's brother Halim Mridha said he filed a general diary with Siddhirganj Police Station on March 4, stating that the two were held in Siddhirganj on February 27.

source: Daily star