Mushfiqur falls after reaching fifty

Bangladesh captain Mushfiqur Rahim and allrounder Shakib Al Hasan batted through probing spells from Sri Lankan bowlers during the morning session of day-3 as they took Tigers past 250 in their first innings of the second Test of the series at Colombo’s P Sara Oval today.

Both the batsmen survived the first hour with a combination of sensible shot selection and sheer will to stay at the wicket for their team, for Bangladesh.

The sixth wicket stand between Mushfiqur and Shakib managed 56 runs in 12.2 overs when Bangladesh reached 254 for 5 in 70 overs.

Tigers trailed Sri Lanka by 124 runs with five wickets remaining in their first innings when the umpire called stumps on day-2. Bangladesh lost three wickets inside the last four overs to hand the initiative back to the Sri Lankans.

Bangladesh, with Sabbir Rahman and Imrul Kayes at the crease, had gotten to 192 for two in response to Sri Lanka's first innings score of 338 and with four overs left on the second day of the second Test, all that was needed was to play out the overs and go to their hotel rooms secure in the knowledge that they were ahead in their 100th Test.

Instead, Imrul Kayes played a rash pull shot to chinaman bowler Lakshan Sandakan and was out leg-before, before Taijul departed first ball and Sabbir was out caught in an obvious leg-side trap in the next over.

Since Taijul's dismissal, 22 runs were scored off 20 balls before the umpires called an end to the chaos, 18 of them scored by Shakib Al Hasan off eight balls.


Tamim Iqbal, Soumya Sarkar, Imrul Kayes, Mushfiqur Rahim (Captain, Wicketkeeper), Shakib Al Hasan, Sabbir Rahman, Mehedi Hasan, Mosaddek Hossain Saikat, Mustafizur Rahman, Taijul Islam and Subashis Roy

Sri Lanka

Dimuth Karunaratne, Upul Tharanga, Kusal Mendis, Dinesh Chandimal, Dhananjaya de Silva, Asela Gunaratne, Niroshan Dickwella (Wicketkeeper), Dilruwan Perera, Rangana Herath (Captain), Suranga Lakmal and Lakshan Sandakan

Umpires - Aleem Dar and S Ravi

TV umpire - M Erasmus

Match referee - AJ Pycroft

Reserve umpire - RSA Palliyaguruge

source: Daily star