September 19, 2016 - 1:56pm
Minister Obaidul Quader today accepted responsibility for the deaths in road crashes on highways during the holidays of Eid-ul-Azha.
“I am not claiming that I am successful in establishing discipline in transport sector and as a minister I can’t avoid responsibility of the accidents on highways,” he told journalists at a meet the press programme in Dhaka Reporters Unity (DRU).
The minister said that he is shocked at such “procession of death” on the highways.
At least 31 people, including two policemen, were killed and 74 others injured in separate road accidents across the country during the three-day Eid holidays.
Last year, at least 30 people were killed and 54 others injured during the same holidays while in 2014 at least 26 people were killed in road accidents across the country during Eid-ul-Azha. The death toll was 10 in 2013, 40 in 2012 and 46 in 2011, according to The Daily Star reports.
“These accidents were mostly caused by derivers who drive their vehicles at an excessively higher speed to avail as many trips as they can,” he alleged.
“General people can be made to abide by the traffic rules but it is very tough to bring the politicians and influential people inside the rule of law,” the minister said.
Dividers and service roads will be constructed on the Dhaka-Chittagong and Dhaka-Mymenshingh highways in order to reduce road accidents, Quader said.