Man dies of ‘suffocation’ in Mirpur fire

A man who was rescued today in an unconscious state from inside a carpet and curtain shop that caught fire at Senpara in Dhaka’s Mirpur area, died at a hospital in Dhaka this morning.

Mamun was declared dead at Shuhrawardy Medical College Hospital after he was rushed there around 11:50am, Bhuiyan Mahbub Hossain, officer-in-charge of Mirpur Police Station, told The Daily Star.

He might have died of suffocation, police suspect.

Mamun was rescued from the third floor of the six-storey building, the police official added.

Six units of fire fighters doused the flames at the shop after their one-hour frantic efforts around 9:50am, sources at Fire Service and Civil Defence headquarters said.

The fire department official could not ascertain the cause of the fire.

source:Daily star