Hearing on Fakhrul, others production warrants Thursday

A Dhaka court on Thursday will hear the petitions of 29 opposition leaders including BNP acting secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir seeking withdrawal of production warrants against them in an explosive case.

In the petitions, the accused said they need the withdrawal in the explosive case to be freed on bail as they had already got bail in two cases -- one for torching a vehicle and another for exploding two 'bombs' at Bangladesh Secretariat-- Taherul Islam Touhid, a counsel of the accused, told The Daily Star.

Thirty-three leaders of the 18-party alliance including the 29 had secured bail from the High Court on June 7 in a case for torching a vehicle near Prime Minister's office during the April 29 hartal.

On the other hand, the opposition leaders accused of exploding 'bombs' at secretariat secured an anticipatory bail on May 14 from the HC till submission of charge sheet in the case.

According to law, the bail will be effective till acceptance of the charge sheet against the accused.

Detectives on May 31 charged the 29 leaders with blasting two 'bombs' at the secretariat.

Judge Mohammad Zahurul Haque of the Metropolitan Sessions Judges' Court fixed the date on Sunday as the counsels of the detained leaders filed several petitions before it for withdrawal of the warrants.

The case was filed with Shahbagh Police Station against 28 leaders of the 18-party alliance in connection with two bomb explosions at the Secretariat during hartal hours on April 29.

On June 6, the same court issued the warrants against the accused asking jail authorities to produce them before it on July 24.

News Source: 
UNB