Teesta Bridge opens to public communications in July: Quader

Teesta Road Bridge over the Teesta River will be open for the public communications by July, Communications Minister Obaidul Quader said on Saturday.

He said, Construction of Teesta Road Bridge will be completed by June 30.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is expected to inaugurate the bridge in July, the minister said while visiting the bridge in Kaunia upazila of Rangpur in the morning, reports our Rangpur correspondent.

Once the road bridge is opened to the public, smooth road communications will be established between Rangpur, Lalmonirhat and Kurigram districts.

Vehicles that cross Bangladesh border with India through Burimari land port in Lalmonirhat will also use the road.

Earlier, the contractor assigned to complete the road missed four deadlines.

The construction work of the 750-metre-long and 12.11-metre-wide road bridge began on September 7, 2006 and it was scheduled to be complete by September 6, 2009.

The Tk 87 crore road bridge project is being implemented by the RHD and the Ministry of Communications. Bangladesh government arranged 85 percent of the fund while the rest 15 percent was given by Kuwait government.

Construction firms Amin-Delim (Bangladesh) and ASCO (India) are constructing the Teesta Road Bridge in a joint venture.

News Source: 
The Daily Star