Recipe: Moong Dal Payash
Moong Dal Payash has the goodness of the split yellow lentil flavored with coconut milk. The use of canola oil makes it a light yet very palatable dessert.
- 150 gm jaggery
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 150 gm moong dal (green gram)
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 500 ml water
- 2 tsp cardamom powder
- 15 gm cashew nuts
- Grate jaggery and keep aside.
- In thick-bottomed pan, heat canola oil, add cashew nuts and fry until light brown. Remove and keep aside.
- In same pan, add a little more canola oil and add moong dal; on low heat, lightly roast dal. Make sure dal does not burn. Add water carefully and cook until dal it is mashy.
- Add grated jaggery and cook for 2 minutes. Carefully add coconut milk and keep cooking for another 5 minutes. If payash is too thick, then add a little water.
- Sprinkle cardamom powder and browned cashew nuts. Serve hot.